August 2001 Edition, v1-1/HTML
Maintained By: Tammy Hocking & Matt Rose
Blackboard Quote: I will not complain about the FAQ being out of date
In Memory Of: Christopher Collins, Phil Hartman, Doris Grau, Homer Groening, "Doc Quack",
Dr. Marvin Monroe, "Bleeding Gums" Murphy, Snowball I and Maude Flanders.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for alt.tv.simpsons,
posted to the newsgroup as required and pointed to users asking about topics covered here.
A text version of the LISA is always available at rtfm.mit.edu, or by
sending e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word "LISA" as the subject.
The English Episode QuickList is available through
or you can receive the list by sending e-mail to email@example.com with "QL" as the subject.
Corrections and Suggestions encouraged!
Please direct all comments to
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
NOTE: This document is by no means all-inclusive. It is intended to serve as a
general guide to the series and pointer to other sources with more detailed information on specific aspects of the series and newsgroup.
In This Edition:
- New episode capsules
- New information on the future of The Simpsons
Section I - Introduction/Newsgroup Background
- Creation of The Simpsons
- Who is Matt Groening?
- What does he do for The Simpsons?
- Where did he get the name/s for the Simpson family?
- How did he create them?
- The Tracey Ullman Show
- What was the first Simpsons short and when did it air?
- How many shorts are there in total?
- Why do the characters look so different?
- Why does Lisa behave so differently? She's basically a female Bart.
- Is it true that Maggie speaks in the shorts?
- I noticed that her pacifier sounds different, too.
- Why are Homer and Marge not given voice credits?
- Do any other well-known characters from the half-hour series make appearances?
- Why does Homer's voice sound so different?
- Why was the "Babysitting Maggie" short censored?
- Are all the voices the same?
- Why did the shorts disappear during the last season of The Tracey Ullman Show?
- I heard that Tracey Ullman actually filed a law suit against Fox. What became of that?
- Transition to Half-hour Primetime Series
- What was the first episode?
- Series timeline
Section III - Character Information
- The Simpson Family
- What is the Simpsons' home address?
- What is the Simpsons' home phone number?
- How come the characters don't age?
- How much does Maggie cost in the opening titles?
- The trivia question in 3F31 said that the cash register read "NRA4EVER". What's going on here?
- How old is Homer, exactly?
- What does he say exactly? D'oh? D'ohh?
- What do the J's stand for in Homer J. and Bartholomew J. Simpson?
- Why is Bart's shirt sometimes orange and sometimes blue?
- Other Springfieldians
- Where is Springfield, anyway?
- In "Behind the Laughter", the Simpsons are revealed to be a Northern Kentucky family. But when they re-ran the episode later, it was changed to Southern Missouri. What's going on?
- Is Smithers gay?
- Is Karl (from 7G02) gay?
- Is Milhouse/Bart/Homer/Martin gay?
- How old is Mr. Burns, exactly?
- Which one is Patty and which one is Selma?
- What are all of Selma's married names?
- But she never married Lionel Hutz!
- Which one is Itchy and which one is Scratchy?
- What are the words to the Itchy & Scratchy theme song?
- Is it just me or are several of the characters left-handed?
- What are the names of the bullies who pick on Bart, and which is which?
- Is Bart's friend named Milhous, Millhouse, Milhouse?
- What is the name of ... ?
- What exactly does Professor Frink say? Ng-hiey? Ng-wiey? Glaven?
- Is Groundskeeper Willie Irish or Scottish?
- What nationality is Dr Nick Riviera?
Section IV - Cast, Staff & Production Information
- The Voice Actors
- Who does which voices?
- It seems to me that Homer's voice sounds different in early episodes. Did they change actors, or is it just my imagination?
- There are a few other characters who sound different in early episodes. Were all the same actors doing the voices?
- Why do some of the female characters sound different in recent episodes?
- Why did Maggie Roswell leave the show?
- What will become of Phil Hartman's characters?
- Is it true the entire cast was nearly fired and replaced?
- Who plays the baritone saxophone for Lisa?
- I heard that (so-and-so) was going to be on The Simpsons. Is that true?
- Why did Michael Jackson and Dustin Hoffman not use their real names?
- Which actors/celebrities have appeared on The Simpsons who are now deceased?
- The Staff
- How do I contact Matt Groening or the producers/writers of the show?
- What about e-mail addresses?
- I have a script/story idea I want to show to the producers ...
- What does a consulting producer do and what does a supervising producer do?
- Is consulting producer a lower job then a supervising producer?
- Who is Ian Maxtone-Graham, and why is he so disliked on the newsgroup?
- Is The Simpsons' production staff aware of UseNet and a.t.s.?
- Have any of them actually posted to the newsgroup?
- Why is John Frink listed as a producer in later seasons?
- What is Matt Groening's favorite episode? What about cast members? Writers? Directors?
- What are the known cast and staff birth dates/places?
- How is a Simpsons episode created?
- Who creates the animation for the show?
- Why did Film Roman take over animation production?
- How much does it cost to produce one episode?
- How long does it take?
- What are all these hexidecimal numbers people keep using?
- Where are the production codes seen?
- Why do the Season Six production codes jump from 2F22 to 2F31?
- And what about 3F31?
- Why did Matt Groening remove his name from the credits of episode 2F31?
- Where do the episode titles come from?
- How come Halloween episodes don't follow established continuity?
- Has The Simpsons won any awards?
Section V - Episodes & Events
- Was Smithers black in one episode?
- When and how did Dr. Marvin Monroe die?
- Why was he killed off?
- When and how did Maude Flanders die?
- Why was she killed off?
- What is the spelling of Bart's fake Scrabble word in 7G02?
- What's the deal with the rake scene in 9F22?
- In "Sunday, Cruddy Sunday", why do Moe and Lenny cover their mouths when they mention the two Super Bowl participants?
- Music, Merchandise, Literature
- Have any of the episodes been released on video?
- What about on DVD?
- What musical albums and compilations have been released?
- What books have been written about the show?
- Are there any Simpsons video games?
- What is Bongo Comics Group/Simpsons Illustrated?
- Didn't The Simpsons do commercials for ... ?
- Who is the winner of 1995's 1-800-COLLECT "Who Shot Mr Burns?" Contest?
- What's this I hear about a real-life version of the Simpson house?
- Broadcast Information & Syndication
- Is my local station cutting the episodes?
- Why are some clips shown in commercials not in the transmitted episodes?
- In what time slots have The Simpsons aired?
- What is syndication?
- Why are the syndicated episodes being cut?
- How come I rarely see any episodes preceding Season Six in syndication?
- Will there ever be a Simpsons movie?
- I heard the show was being cancelled ...
Section VII - Commonly Requested Lists
On to Section I
Copyright © 2001 by Tammy Hocking & Matt Rose
(See Sec 8.3)